Saturday, April 14, 2007

Freewrite

Neurology is a field I’ve been fascinated with since I was freshman and opened my eyes to see my classmates staring at me in horror. I assumed I had fainted, but couldn’t decipher the looks I was receiving, had none of my peers ever seen anyone faint before? I assumed not, it wasn’t until paramedics arrived and began inquiring as to what had occurred was I informed that I had just experienced a seizure.

At the hospital they injected me with seizure medications that were meant to treat epilepsy, they made me hallucinate a bit and as I got frightened, I went into my second set of convulsions, which the medication should have prevented. The doctors tried a second epilepsy medication, and again, it failed; so they called in a team of neurologists to run some EEG’s.

Everything seemed to be just fine, and then my mother noted that I had the seizure when I was scared, so they put on a scary clip of a movie, and sure enough out I went. Since the EEG was run during the moments before my seizure the neurologists were able to see that there was more activity in my left hemisphere than in my right, since the amount of electrical currents traveling from the left to the right was so much greater than the amount traveling from right to left, my brain attempted to reset itself, by momentarily shutting down and resetting, thus resulting in seizure activity.

Next I went on a "journey with these neurologists and watched them figure out what was wrong with me. The effort they put into their work and the passion they have for it is similar to the passion that I have for neurology. This even is the reason that I am attending UCDHSC, and the reason I am doing this free write for english 1020

1 Comments:

Blogger Molly Bloom said...

I had kind of a long stay at the hospital and I know what kind passion everyone there has. What amazed me was how hard the nurses work, especially in the ICU. They have so much to take care of and are constantly running around from patient to patient. They are able to work so well so fast and still connect with their patients. I got really attached to them, so much so that I was sad to leave the hospital.

April 15, 2007 at 11:03 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home